Sunset Cambodia.jpg

If any questions remain unanswered, please fee free to contact us any time. 

Cost of living in Cambodia?

Rent for a room in a shared house or shared apartment  ranges from US $100 to US $400 including bills.  If you want to get your own studio apartment you're looking at US $300-$500 a month.  Hostels start at US$5 a night and cheap hotels at about US$8, although cheaper options are not unheard of.  You can rent a four bedroom house starting at US $1000 a month, in the city.

Street food is incredibly affordable in Cambodia, starting out at about US$1 a meal.  Coffee costs as little as 20 cents, per cup.  Expats enjoy eating out most meals, due to the variety of food available.  Groceries are affordable and available. Eating out a a nice western style restaurant costs between US $10-$20.  Alcohol can be very cheap, in most places a beer costs under $1.  

A motorbike is the best way to get around town.  You can rent a reasonably new bike for US $40 a month, or buy an older one for US $200.  Motorbikes don't use a lot of fuel, a liter will set you back about a dollar, roughly US $4 per gallon.  Teachers that choose not to drive are able to use the app Grab, which is affordable and widely available in the cities.  Taxi's charge about US$4 for an half an hour drive. The cost of living can be a lot lower in the countryside, but so is the salary.

Most teachers living in  Cambodia spend between US $500-$1000 a month.


How much does a ESL Teacher earn in Cambodia?

A fully qualified, native speaking English teacher starts off earning between US $12-$15 an hour.  If you don't have a Bachelor's degree you can expect US$10-$15 an hour, the same goes for non native teachers.  Most teaching jobs are twenty to thirty  hours a week, so you can expect to take home about US $1000-$1500 a month. Some teachers choose to do more hours, take on a second teaching job, or do private tutoring. 

Visa for Cambodia?

A visa on arrival can -as the name suggests- be obtained on arrival at the border.   We recommend a "ordinary visa" rather than a tourist visa, because you are able to renew the ordinary visa without having to leave the country. It is possible to get a visa online beforehand, but the ordinary visa (E-visa) can only be purchased on arrival.  This visa costs US $35 at the border and can be extended indefinitly.

Do I have be from a English speaking country?

To obtain a legal work permit you have to be a native English speaker. It is possible to find employment if you are not from an English speaking country.  If you have more questions about this, please contact us.

Do I have to have a degree?

You have to have a Bachelor's degree to obtain a work permit and work legally.  However, there are currently many teachers in Cambodia that don't have a degree, and have lived here for years.  Teachers without a degree keep renewing their E-visa.  If you have more questions about this, please contact us.

Do I have to have relevant experience?

No.  We guarantee job placement whether this is your first teaching job or not.

What if I fail the class?

As long as you are motivated and do the work our experienced instructors will not let you down.  We have not had anybody fail the class who wasn't  willing to put in the time.

What do the "50 hours of written work" entail?

You will write 8 comprehensive lesson plans, a 1500 word essay and design a course template.  Guidance is given every step of the way, to ensure you are ready to hit the ground running.

What is the accommodation really like?

You will get your own private room with an en suite, in a shared home with other TESOL students.  In some cases you are placed in a hotel, also with other students. All accommodation is within walking distance of the school.  House cleaning and a paid laundry service are provided.  We found that students appreciate the chance to live with other aspiring teachers, and it's a fantastic way to build a network of friends. 


From what point am I officially enrolled?

After a Skype interview we invite you to enroll, as soon as a down payment is made, you are officially enrolled.  We can not reserve a spot before a down payment is made.  Classes start every four weeks. 

Do I have to work in Cambodia with my TESOL certificate?

No.  Your TESOL certificate is internationally recognized and backed by the Australian government.  This means you are certified to teach English as a second language anywhere in the world.

Job guarantee?

We guarantee up to three job offers within four weeks of finishing the course.  Salary will be at market rate or higher.